Stellata is reached by turning onto the right bank of the river Po from the road that leads from Bondeno to Sermide.

Mentioned in documents dating back to the year 1082 with the name “Goltarasa”, it was only at the beginning of 16th century that the village was called Stellata, meaning “Palisade used in river works”.  Initially, it was an ancient estate owned by the Estense family.  Later it was passed on to the Contrari family, who had a viscount based there, and afterwards it was owned by the Pepoli family from Bologna.  The village was the scene of wars between Ferrara and Venice, fighting for ownership of Rovigo’s Polesine between 1482 and 1510.  Being on one of the borders of the Estense State and later of the Papal State, Stellata was constantly a military stronghold and was the object of repeated works for the fortification of the river banks and monitoring and control of water levels.

Historically, from the middle ages until modern times the site of Stellata played a role in military defence.  The first evidence of moats and trenches dates back to around 1000 AD, while a fort in Ficarolo, on the opposite side of the river Po, was mentioned in the 11th century.

The riverside position of the settlement in Stellata, on the right bank of the river Po, exactly opposite  the settlement in Ficarolo, on the other bank, is typical of the traditional distribution of colonies along local rivers.  We find this same distribution along the entire course of the river Po and other lowland rivers.

The local geography is clearly depicted in the The Fury of Orlando by Ludovico Ariosto, where the poet describes the journey of Rinaldo, cruising down the river Po towards Ferrara: 

Melara lies left of the river’s bed,

  Sermide to the right;

  the vessel passes Stellata and Figarolo,

  where the angry Po lowers his two horns.(canto XLIII, 53)